Monday, December 22, 2008

Hello blogger world –

First things first. Thank you all so much for the huge showing of support. It was a great thing to check the blog throughout out the day and see how many people and who had left a comment. From students, to friends I haven’t seen in a while, to all those friends of Caroline. (It sounds like a charity group…the Friends of Caroline. Oh. There is the newest competition. If there were a charity group called the Friends of Caroline…what would they support?)
I am currently sitting in a lovely reclining chair, in a quiet corner of the Dana Farber infusion room, waiting for a nurse to come back with papers for me to sign. “Wait!” You say. “Why am I sitting in an infusion room? “ You thought my treatments were over. There was nothing else. Well, this is true. I have finished all my chemo treatments, but Dana Farber had this study that I qualified for.
One of the problems with an allogeniec stem cell transplant is the possibility of chronic graft vs. host. (GVHD) I am currently on immunosuppressants to stop Katrina’s immune system from attacking my organs as a foreign body. However, there is a possibility in the future, once they decrease the amount of immunosuppressant I’m on, that she will get overly excited and start attacking a kidney ..or a liver.
One of the things the Doctors have noticed is that if you give a patient with chronic GVHD, rituxan, it alleviates the symptoms. So, the question is, if they give rituxan prior to the establishment of GVHD, will it be prevented. So, here I am, waiting to receive a 4+ hour drip of rituxan. And why am I waiting, when they knew that I would be here? Well, for the second week in a row, my bloods came back with a high hormone count. Specifically, the one that indicates pregnancy. And no matter how many times I try to assure the doctor that at the time there is no chance that I am pregnant, they still need to have it run by a GYN doctor to get his opinion. (Apparently, my opinion and assurance don’t count for anything.) So, here we wait for the start. And as I write this, I am also down loading some Christmas carols. Including “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas”. Speaking of white, Mom and I actually drove up yesterday. It was miserable. Our usual 3 hour drive took us 6 hours. By the time we saw the third car off the road, I was tempted to tell mom to just turn us around and go home. And we still had another 3.5 hours to go. It was just….BAD. Really Bad.
When we got to Erica and Drew’s last night, we were greeted with a glass of bailys. That was nice. Their house looks really nice. They have the sweetest tree and, since they have a fire place, they have decorated it with garland and nutcrackers. The also have a giant, 6 foot pile of snow in the front yard from shoveling out their cars. (It would make a great snow fort.) OK. That’s all for this update. I’ll catch you again before Christmas. Enjoy the music. (Smiles her evil smile and gives her evil “tee hee”)
-Elizabeth

13 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got to Boston safe. Hope everything went smoothly and that rituxan did not give you any trouble.
Marta

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hysterical laughing about you waiting for your pregnancy tests to come back...maybe it's the whole Virgin Mary at Christmas thing has them so cautious. The reason I checked the blog was specifically to see how you and Mom did getting up there yesterday. Mom had told us Saturday night you HAD to get up there Sunday and I was soooooo concerned all day yesterday (maybe my prayers are what got you through!) We only had 2 miles to go to get to church and didn't venture out! Are you back in Mahopac tonight? Thanks for the newsy update! Mrs H PS...is Marta first on the blog from overseas?!!! Good job, Marta!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Mrs. Fitz said...

Thanks for the up date. Happy to hear you made it up to Boston ok.
Looking forward to your next Blogg.

To you and your family have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Love, Mr & Mrs.Fitz

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger katrina said...

Yeah--"Good job Marta"
(Over-achiever... I used to be the over-achiever until Marta came along. Whatever.)

And then Mrs. Hinz uses my Virgin Mary joke. I give up.

By the way, Friends of Caroline would support anyone who:
1. has a medical challenge;
2. knows someone who has a medical challenge;
3. is raising funds/awareness to fight for patients/against medical challenges;
4. asks nicely.

Love you; glad you're not pregnant.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger katrina said...

PS I LOVE this song.

"One light goes out, they ALL go out!"

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! You got there safe and even had a ha! ha! while you sat waiting!!! Can't wait to be with you and listen to your playlist.
YBS

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to be a fly on the wall when you explain to your dad about the pregnancy test! Talk about a laugh!!

I'm very impressed with your description of GVHD - now Katrina has a run for her money - maybe the over achiever is kicking ass?

I saw Caroline at the Christmas concert and thought to myself 'what a neat person, I want to be a friend of Caroline's', and poof, now I know that if I can become a friend, I will have @50 more new friends, all because of her. Way to go Caroline!

Happy holidays to all, and all the best.

Janette

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only for you (or one of my other children) would I take that white knuckle drive in the middle of a blizzard to Boston. But as always, God was with us and kept us safe.

NOW, I do have something to say about the unceremonial way that I was tossed from the exam room by Dr. Soiffer as he wanted to speak with you "privately". I guess he wanted to explain the birds and the bees and have you truly convince him that you aren't pregnant.

And how many people joked with you today about the Immaculate Conception and then you responded with an explanation of the difference between the birth of Mary and the Virgin Birth of Christ. You made your brother-in-law Charlie, proud.

I wish I could say that after a hectic/long/stressful two days, you would be able to sleep late tomorrow, but alas there is a ginger-bread castle to finish and remove from my dining room table....I have your aunt and uncle coming over for dinner.

Love you Elizabeth,
Mom

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Erica said...

I love how mom has to talk to Liz through the blog???

And I too was going to make the Virgin Mary joke... :(

Fine, well, I'll just let you all know that the "6 foot" pile of snow is more like 7! And we shoveled ALL of it!

Hope you didn't hit too much traffic leaving the city...

Love, Erica

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Heather Palkewick said...

Sorry that we missed your 100th day! Blessings to you and your family this Christmas. We sure have been blessed this year, haven't we!
Love,
Nate, Heather and Joshua

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Liz,
Glad you made it to Boston and home again. Now you know why Uncle John and I are down south!! (Ha, ha) We miss you guys and are so glad that the pregnancy test came back negative...(another, Ha, ha). Have a Merry Chistmas and I look forward to meeting Caroline when we're up north. I want to be her friend, too.

Love from Aunt Millie SC

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
Merry Christmas to you and the whole family.
Love,
Marta

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Monica Rose said...

Elizabeth,

I'm sorry that you were subjected to horrific weather conditions (as if driving to Boston wasn't enough of an adventure), and ridiculous pregnancy tests, but I'm glad Er and Drew could help you out with some Bailey's and decorations! I will keep my fingers crossed and my prayers in order that Katrina's cells can be kept in line....something which will be an arduous task, I'm sure ;)

I hope you and all those Bauerleins and additional other-named family members are having a beautiful Christmas together. My family asked about you and we all hope you are feeling well!

I hope to see you in the very near future. Merry Christmas, Elizabeth! And a happy, HEALTHY, creative New Year! :)

Love, Monica (and Justin and the Follette family)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home