Wednesday, May 21, 2008

And there goes the hair.


I started this entry yesterday, but I never finished. And now, it has a new title. That's right, this morning I woke up with a bald spot and a dead rat. Ok...not really a rat. It was a clump of hair. But that's fine, because it's f*&%ing painfull. You should all remember this from the first ...and second time my hair fell out. It hurts. Like tiny little needles puncturing your scalp. So this morning I dug out a scarf and wrapped up my head. And if the pain keeps up, I will probably get rid of the rest of it tonight.

On to other news.

Guess who's graduating.


ME.

That's right. I have finished my masters in Education. I will be graduating this semester. This doesn't mean I have my certification though. That is still waiting on the two CLEPS. I'm not quite sure when I will take those.

As of last post, we were waiting on my crash. Dr. Ahmed said it was coming, Denise said it was coming, everyone said it was coming. And maybe it did, but I missed it. On monday I left a period early from school to make it down to Westchester for an anticipated transfusion. Which never happened because my counts were already on the rise.

Want to know my secret for bringing up my counts?

It's easy. Plan a ridiculously busy weekend and then never sleep. Doesn't make sense, does it?

But that's what happened. We had the concert on Saturday. I got up at 8:30, had a nice leasurely breakfast and then Erica and I started to memorize our handbell parts. (That's right, we still had not memorized them. )
Then I worked on some of the music, ran through my solo once and tried not to panic. By 3:30 I was at rehearsal and on my feet for the rest of the day. (OK,...so I sat down once during the concert.)
Then, after the concert, I helped Erica chop up some fruit. (Two pineapples, some Kiwi) Why were we chopping up fruit? Was it just some mad post concert jonesing? Nope. Our nephews confirmation was this Sunday and Erica was to bring a fruit platter for dessert.
I then typed up a quick little talk for church in the morning. I had been asked to say a few words about what it is like working with the youth of Grace. I got up after 6 hours of sleep and spoke at early service. Had a brief sunday school class, and then sang with the choir for late service while Zach and Caitlin (cousin) were confirmed. Not a solo, I sang with the choir.
Then we had a party. I was going to help set up, stay for all of the appropriate photos, then go home for a nap,...but no, Carol insisted that all stay and dance. (There was a DJ. Young...but good)
And then I went to work on Monday. In fact, I have been to work this entire week. It's been working out well so far. I'm learning Italian by being the Italian sub. They review for their final, and I get to learn Italian.
OK, I have to get ready for class, but before I run, you should see the funny hahas that Erica posted. For those of you who haven't seen me recently, I have a giant scar from my biopsy. So Erica sent this.

Top 10 Ways to Respond To Nosy Questions About Scars
10. Never go to Mother's Tattoo Parlor when you're high.
9. You think that's bad, you should see the exit wound.
8. I self-mutilate. Don't you?
7. Those damn flesh-eating bacteria are spreading, slowly but surely.
6. That's where the government put the chip to track my movements.
5. It's the only way to smuggle drugs these days.
4. What scar? What are you talking about? Oh my God! That's HUGE!
3. I had to sell organs to get off the street.
2. I should have listened when Mom said not to scratch that mosquito bite.
1. That's where my Siamese twin was attached.

All right folks...that's all for today.
-Elizabeth

13 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And dance you did 'You Brown-eyed Girl'...woo-hoo! Thanks for hanging out and helping make the party a success.

Love you!

YBS

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Mrs. Fitz said...

Congratulations !!! I know your family is very proud of you. You are truly amazing


Love, Mrs. & Mrs. Fitz

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Elizabeth, you have me rolling on the floor, girl!
I love you and am praying for you!

Doug

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger katrina said...

Oh goodness me ... so much funny .... so much to comment on ... where do i begin??? ... and no one even knows what a talented hair stylist i am ... okay, graduation: excellent, congrats!!! ... top 10 list: ROTFL (special kudos to #s 9, 6 & 4)... CLEP: necessary evil, do it ... losing hair: endless Thursday night entertainment (truly endless) ... learning Italian: fun, exciting and necessary (Ho fame, dove sono mangiando?) ... rising counts: white blood cells fighting back (motivating fear of incoming stem cells--insert Mom's evil eye here) ...

Phew! It's a busy day in the blog-o-hood. Enjoy your days off from work!

And the Italian phrase of the day is:
Un altro vino rosso, per favore!

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were the Italian sub !!! With sweet or hot peppers? It makes us salivate just thinking about it. If anyone can pull it off, it is surely you. We think you are AMAZING - keep up the good work in all that you are doing! Hugs to you & Dr. Ahmed.

Love,
Martha & Werner

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL on the Top 10 list. David Letterman couldn't have done it any better. Congratulation on upcoming graduation. Sounds like an occassion for another Top 10 list? You've definitely earned your degree with unstoppable perseverance.

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big congratulations on earning your Master's. I hope you realize how amazing and inspiring you are. Even with the best excuse to be lazy, you're busier than most people I know.
Love & Hugs

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Amy Sayegh said...

Hi Liz,
Very proud of you! Congrats on the school thing. Let me know if you want to borrow a wig ha ha.
Love,
Amy

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Allison said...

Liz, CONGRATULATIONS on your master's degree! That's an impressive accomplishment and you deserve to be proud. Sending you good thoughts! :)

Allison (your old roomie from Apple Hall!)

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS ELIZABETH!!!

So glad you decided to attend the commencement "exercise" (how did that term come to be? Hmmm, I'll look into that...it sure is work which I equate exercise to be!) You have earned that degree and then some. Enjoy the festivities.

Mrs H

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Heather Palkewick said...

HAPPY GRADUATION DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi EJ --

Congrats on the degree -- you certainly earned it.

And I loved the top 10!

Keep smilin - it keeps them wondering...

Health & blessings,
Susan

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Elizabeth and Happy, I mean really Happy Birthday.

If anybody deserves to celebrate a birthday the right way then it's you. We in Maryland wish you the very best of the best, the very healthiest of health, the fastest of fast recoveries and a final, everlasting demise of Fred.

So happy to hear that you got a green light on your Italy trip. My Lord, if I only had the physical and mental energy that you have. And certainly one of our birthday wishes is that you'll never lose that energy. You are a beacon to a lot of people, you are truly a Guiding Light and an inspiration to everybody. May this never change.

So go forth under the protective wings of our Lord. May He keep you and give you His blessings.

......and if there is time, have a Margarita or two. We'll try our best to have one in your honor.

"f*&%ing" ?? You can be plainer than that, I'm sure.

Live long and prosper!

Gerhard and the Maryland clan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home