Tuesday, March 20, 2007

An Update
(in the style of "Mom")

9:54 AM: curious why I hadn't heard from mom; it's been nearly five hours...called home to make sure she was still breathing; inform her about latest test results...which she already knew, as she had already called the nurse's station this morning... twice. Fine....then bring me food.

11:07 AM: Mom arrives with 1 portion farina, 1 tupperware chicken soup, both in a white Stop and Shop plastic bag. She seems in good spirits.

11:08 AM: Mom grabs Clorox wipes and begins to wipe down anything immobile. And Amy....was that Amy? was Amy even here? Barbara was here. But that wasn't until 12...I dunno...it all starts to look the same...

11:10 AM: Mom force feeds me farina. F.f.f.f.f.f...Better than frisbee pancakes....I don't even know what that means.

11:37 AM: Mom begins crossword puzzle....39 across...mythical creatures...four letters....begins with o, ends with s. ORCS (she's lucky to have me) Her blood pressure seems to rise and fall with each unanswered question.

12:00 NOON Mom growing anxious. Isn't anyone coming to help....help.

12:02 Cousin Barbara arrives. Mom departs for midday nurse-harassment. I hear weeping. Who's crying?

12:05 None of the nurses will look mom in the eye.

2:11 PM Dad arrives. Finds crossword puzzle gift from Barbara (who left...when the nurses stopped crying...); Dad works on crossword puzzle. Mom does too...but not on the same one.

2:12 PM For the 17th time, mom inquires about my thirst. Would I like some juice? She would gladly pour it for me, if I would drink it...(do you hear the inflection go up in my voice? No? Try again...)

2:34 PM The Fellow (Doctor-person) explains possible release scenarios. Mom begins to cringe and the sudden increase in blood pressure causes her to disregard all that the underling says.

2:35 PM Asks nurse to call for "real" doctor. Nurse looks scared and runs away.

2:42 PM Real doctor arrives. Gives mom sedative. Says he will come back when she promises to behave. (Just Kidding.) real doctor says the same thing that the Fellow said; but with authority. Mom decompresses.

Too tired to write more...but rest assured, you'll get a full report from mom regarding every minute and totally inconsequential detail in about (3....2.....1....)


15 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I'm the first too blog but I can see it's pick on mom again. EJ must be feeling better and she had her co-conspiritor Katrina with her. I'll write more later.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, now to defend myself. All of the mothers understand that it is the "mother lion" who protects her young and you dear, Elizabeth...are one of my young.
So, if the nurses move a little faster when I'm there, and maintenance gets upto your room to change your shower head, and the underlings know I want to talk to the real doctor.... That's OK. now stop picking on me 'cause I'm sending you big (little) sister Carol, in my place tomorrow.
Love you.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger katrina said...

She's sending Carol? Apparently, I've been taken off Elizabeth detail...part of me wonders is that a demotion or a reward....?

It's okay, Mom. It's good to have a mother lion, especially when she laughs along with us (Elizabeth, how could you have forgotten about the showerhead; that could have been the comedy jackpot...ugh!)

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, do I need to be afraid to show up tomorrow? Will my visit become 'the joke'? I THINK NOT! Just remember...I may be small, but I can be mean. "Here Liz, let me help you with your pillows (bam!)" Or, "I'm sorry...did you trip over your wires?"

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mil. . I definitely understand mother lions.. . the rest of you behave yourselves and let Mil do her job.

Love, Phyllis R.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Mrs. Fitz said...

I with you Mil. You go Mother Lion No one beter mess with our cubs. Hang in there, we are Mothers hear us roar.

Love, Mrs.Fitz Sr.

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth:

I have put men on the origin and the meaning of "frisbee pancakes" in our constant efforts to educate and help in matters of trival importance.

We think the best definition is from the game of ultimate where the disc flattens out midflight and "pancakes". Obviously this would be the plural.

Other definitions seem to dwell on extraordinary sized breakfast foods or some miss applied combination. The thought is that what was meant was silver dollar pancakes, Whamo frisbee discs, etc.

The "men" and I believe this should help clear up any confusion.
We remain "at the ready" to provide any additional assistance in regard to meanings, etc.

Hope you are feeling better and will be out and about soon. John+upstairs and I continue to follow along.

Charlie J.

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG- YOU HAD ME LAFFING HYSTERICALLY UNTIL I REMEMBER WHAT YOU ARE THERE FOR AND WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN GOING THRU, BUT I CAN SO RELATE TO THE MOTHER( WEREN'T WE , THE OLDER GENERATION MUCH MORE RESPECTFUL OF OUR MOTHERS, OR WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN MORE FEARFUL!?!) I KNOW YOU MUST BE REACHING YOUR "PATIENT'S PATIENCE" LIMIT, BUT HANG IN THERE A BIT LONGER- ALL OF YOU !! XOOXOX KARIN S.

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom may drive you nuts, but what in the world would you do without her??
Love & Hugs
P.S. I want to hear the showerhead story.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sooo confused..."the men" origins, frisbie pancakes, the showerhead story....I think you're all on something. It IS time for new scenery and sanity for everyone, nurses included. Guess they'll be a big send off lining the hallways when you all head home! Let's do it!!
Special thoughts coming at you from your balcony people..I'm heading off for choir. Can't wait for to be back with us!!
Mrs H.

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi
i have been telling all of you from the begining that the is know love greater than a mom
i should have you talk to my kids and you would not believe the things i did when they were in the hosp
but with all the jokes there is know one stronger on the outside than your mother she goes there does what a mother needs to do and gets it done on the inside she is scared upset and feels she has to be up most of the time if anyone needs to vent it is her but she wont but i will tell you you if you have some one that you can vent to it helps even to know they are just listening and dont know the answers it helps to vent i think i am going to change my name to miss vent
so mil keep up the good work but take some down time for yourself
sue
ps i am not checking my spelling because every time i do i loose my comments h

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth!
First: I am so happy that you are feeling better...now maybe if you turn your cell phone back on I will call you too. I can not wait to hear you sounding better!!! I continue to stay away as I am surrounded by sick people in my office (those Europeans, they don't stop coming to work even if they are not feeling well) but please know that I am thinking about you 24/7.

Second: My Aunt achieved things in the past that may have never happend before. Remember, she convinced an immigration officer to call her back at her house. Now that might seem like nothing to you natives, but if any naturalized citizen is reading this blog, I am sure they are in disbelief. So I know she can get things done(whether she directly benefits from the outcome or not) and therefore I think that your stay in the hospital might have been just a bit easier because of her. I can imagine the hospital staff were quite frightened, and they might demand extra pay for the time you are there, but at the end, I bet it was worth it.

Marta

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HIP HIP HOORAY AND THREE CHEERS FOR PUSHY, OVERBEARING, CARING, LOVING, BOSSY, ORGANIZED, DETERMINED, SLOVAK. MOMS

(insert the ethnicity of your choice as well as female relationship eg. aunts, sisters, sisters-in-law-,nieces, grandmothers, or just WOMEN)

WE KNOW HOW TO BE PAINS IN THE ASS (generally with a smile) AND GET THINGS DONE.

WE USE HONEY WHEN IT'S APPROPRIATE AND WILL SEEM TO WORK, EVEN ADDING SUGAR.

WE TURN TO ICE AND VINEGAR WHEN WE MEET RESISTANCE AND NEED MORE AUTHORITY.

AND WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS WE GIVE THE "EYE" WHICH APPARANTLY WAS VISIBLE TO AN U.S. Immigration Officer OVER THE PHONE..

Don't mess with our young

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on!

Good morning! I'm sensing some real energy here. Time is winding down at WMC Elizabeth. Tap into all this crazy energy...see you back in Mahopac real soon. And boy do we need you for those notes above the scale lines for Easter...Scott gave the sopranos the ol' "courage" speech last night. Says that with all the trumpet, brass, organ and timpani stuff going on we need to be much louder....help!
Have a VERY good day...our regards to the doctors and nurses,
Mrs H

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home