Thursday, February 08, 2007


I kick ass!

They wanted 2 million stem cells and I gave them 7. …in one sitting. (I really didn’t intended to sit in that chair any longer than necessary.)
So here is how it went. I went in Tuesday morning and had another catheter put in. This time in my neck. That is a picture of what it looked like. Not mine, because I was to lazy to take a picture. But it is the same thing I had. Creepy little alien-like tentacles coming from my neck. I had planned this whole graphics thing about the doctors stabbing me in the neck and the pain. And I decided against it cause it really doesn’t demonstrate the creepiness as much as this picture.
Anyway, after the doctor stabbed me in the neck with the catheters, I went back over the oncologist office for the first, of what I thought was going to be three or four days hooked up to a machine to suck out my platelets. It was boring and I slept for about an hour. Then played with my nintendogs for about an hour, than spent the last two hours wishing it was over because I needed to go to the bathroom and the machine was too large to drag with me.
It wasn’t until later on that evening that I realized exactly how much pain I was in. (Jules- It was kind of like the whole getting my ear pierced thing in college.) I was so doped on the medication the doctors had given me, it was sort of like “oww. What happened?” Then I would remember that they stabbed me in the neck.
Mom and I waited up pretty late hoping to get a call that said they received enough stem cells and that I wouldn’t have to inject my self again, but no call came. I injected myself and went to bed. Or tried to go to bed. It was probably the most painful night I’ve had yet…including the port. Want to know why? They stabbed me in the neck!
The next day we got the call saying they had enough but that we should come in so that they could remove the catheters. I was all for that. That was until I relized that they just yank that damn thing out. That’s right. Snip the sutures, put a cotton ball on top …. "OK now. Take a deep breath.” …than yank. Right out. (shudders) Don’t get me wrong... Thrilled to have it out…but still.
So "yeah me", for the many stem cells. (Mom wants to check if there is some sort of record that I broke) The next stage is the hospital. I’ll be going in on the 26th.
I think that is all to report. I’m sure if I forgot something someone will remind me.
-Elizabeth

23 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger Mrs. Fitz said...

Sounds like you had a very busy day. Rest tonight and then when you go in the hospital on Feb. 26, you'll be strong and will kick Fred's Ass out. Then you and me will dance and drink to celabrate that Fred is gone when we come to NY in May Love Mr.&Mrs. Fitz Sr.

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!! You rock. What an overachiever you turned out to be. Congrats. Many many many many smiles, Di

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger b.zanka said...

hey where's that cool pic you were gonna work on when i left there earlier. some over achiever you are!!!! :p

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news Liz!
Love, Janette

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You kick 'FRED'! It was great to see you last night...you looked great and your spirits were up 'Oh Queen of the DVR'.
Keep it up!

LYBS

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Elizabeth! See ya tonight :)

Marta

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL GREAT NEWS. GET SOME REST. THINKING OF YOU.
MRS MILLER

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz - Nicely done. Rest up, watch some movies, and have some fun. I'm thinking of you!

Rebecca Pfeiffer

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I'm sure it hasn't escaped anyone's attention that your body chose to provide the lucky number SEVEN million...

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
Well done my dear. I repeat what I told you earlier....your new theme song is "I am Woman, Watch Me Roar".

Great job on the Woman's Expo tonight. Revel in the compliments and tomorrow do your laundry :)
Love You, Mom

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was expecting to see some pictures! What happened? Anyway, the Women's Expo last night was great. It looks like there was a good turnout, too. I didn't expect to see you at the table greeting everyone. You're amazing.... Spring comes in and Fred goes out. Brit

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! And for those of you who did not get the pierced ear reference - After getting her ear pierced and while it was still numb, she repeatedly tapped her ear and exclaimed "It doesn't hurt! Wow, it doesn't hurt!" Then the next day she wondered why her ear was so sore. Silly girl. At least this time you were not the one responsible for making yourself sore. :) I hope the rest of the treatment goes as well as this step.
Love & Hugs

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT WAS FUN LAST NIGHT! A sincere thank you to you, Amy and all who helped put together the Women's Expo. You and Amy are doing such a great job of re-inventing the women's group into areas pertinent (look it up Lucy) to women today. The EXPO was a neat affirmation of women working from at-home businesses, it raised money for the Women's Resource Center in Mahopac, for more outreach programs at Grace, and IT WAS FUN! Not only were you there to greet people Friday night, you had been there on Wednesday, right from having that thing removed from your neck, at choir Wednesday night, and at church almost all day Friday helping set up (well, directing Brian and his friend on setting up.) Amazing...all this after producing 7 million stem cells!!! What a week. Rest up a bit now and enjoy your break before Feb 26!! Again, congrats on such a sucessful event. Mrs H.

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is message is for Mrs. H.
Can you believe that two ADD's and Chemo-brains were able to pull that off last night? WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. Amazing!!!
I feel like you and I past the torch to a new generation.
Mil

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the plate-lots. The fighting stem cells really came through! Hope your neck is feeling better.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth. . . I was so sure you had this damn thing beat that I haven't been on to your blog in months. I tried a couple of times just to check on you and couldn't get on for some reason. Saw Carol's John this morning on my walk and asked for you. . . he filled me in. NOW.. .I have lots of reading and catching up to do. You've never left my prayers.. . but now are back at the top of my list.

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah STEM CELLS!
You go girl...just think of all the ass kickin' you can do with them!
God bless you & we are praying for you everyday!
Count your days Fred...the End is near!!
Love,
Janine (Staten Island)

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can not believe 7 millon cell that is great sorry i missed friday night but dont like to drive at night safer for the other drivers on the road rest up as much as you can for the 26 and kick fred out for good see you on sunday still in my prayers
sue h

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Liz,
Did you say 7 million? Wow you are some producer!!! Rest up, cause before you know it, you will be out of the hospital and Spring will be here for a new beginning...Get out of here Fred!!!
Love, Aunt Millie SC

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I'm going to check out Katrina's theory and see if Elizabeth changes the blog after she gets 20 comments...(I would ask her myself, but we're not talking....ask her why?)
So anyway a funny story that she left out was that she was instructed to eat a diet high in fiber for the few days before the harvesting of the stem cells. Something about the body giving up calcium along with stemcells. So she did. Elizabeth had yogurt, and milk, and cheeses and icecream, etc, etc. But never-the-less, half way through the harvesting process she developed a disturbing side effect. Her lips starting tingling and then her fingers and her toes, to the point where we both became concernced. She called for the nurse, who calmly told us that it was the result of loss of calcium and she would give her the medical cure. Expecting a hypodermic needle filled with some of the latest scientific "stuff", instead she was handed a hospital cup filled with TUMS, and told to chew until the symptoms went away. So ladies reading this, add TUMS to your diet if you really want calcium fast.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll beat Susan to this....Tums? Grab your Shaklee calcium!

We miss you Elizabeth and were glad to have mom put a few words out so we know you're ok. I'll ask...why aren't you two talking...part of Dr's orders to avoid stress? (Just kidding.) Talk to US! I hope you're enjoying your break. I'm going to LI this weekend so I'll miss you Sunday.
Stay strong, Mrs H

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Mrs. Fitz said...

Hi Elizbeth, Did you like the Banner I sent you? . Love, Mrs Fitz Sr.

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI ELIZABETH - HAVE BEEN THINKING OF YOU OFTEN AND WISHING YOU THE BEST TOMORROW AND THRU THE COMING DAYS. I KNOW YOU WILL DO FANTASTICALLY , BECAUSE YOU KEEP BOUNCING BACK WITH YOUR INSANE SENSE OF HUMOR , EVEN THO THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY DOES ALL OF THESE WEIRD THINGS TO YOU!! YOU ROCK!! AND DON'T FORGET TO KISS YOUR MOM AND TELL HER YOU LOVE HER- WHY AREN'T YOU TALKING?!!!! OXOXO KARIN S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home