Wednesday, September 06, 2006

First day of class.

The class is actually in a computer lab, so I'm updating from class. Don't worry class hasn't started yet. So. Back to school. Finally. Let you know how it goes. - Elizabeth

OK. So I lied. I’m going to continue to update on occasion from class. There is a lot of syllabus discussion going on and since this is one of the classes that I had to drop before starting my chemo, this is all stuff that I have heard before. So, I’ll probably keep this up through class depending on my level of …not paying attention.

Although, now that I am looking through this syllabus, I have to teach someone how to use various programs (ie: word, excel…) I’m thinking mom. Lord knows she could use the help. In fact, I might even throw in a bonus lesson on changing the ink cartridge in the printer.

Thinking about this now, I might be on to something. This could free up a lot of my time. Especially around Christmas when mom starts in on her Bauerlein Family Newsletter. If she could do it herself, and I mean the whole thing, that’s hours of my time that would be freed up.

Don’t get me wrong. She is a great writer. But formatting, font, margins and indentation to fit it onto whatever cutesy piece of paper she has picked out…she does none of that. She is so going to have to learn. Oh. I may even have her learn how to start her own blog. Then we eliminate the need for a newsletter all together.

(snickers…no wait …make that laughter. Make that roaring laughter)

The more I thought about it, the weirder that idea seemed. Mom having a blog is just …wrong. ( I am really trying hard not to make a scene in class. If anyone were to look at me right now, I probably looked constipated I’m trying so hard not to laugh.)

Don’t give me those looks, I’m not being mean. Can you honestly think about my mother having her own blog and not laughing? See. You can’t help it either.

I'm not the only one. Someone else just suggested that he would teach his father. The prof. has informed us this is a good idea, but we can't force our parents. Hmmm. I could tie mom to a chair in front of the computer. I don't see a problem with that.

So. On the final note, as class appears to be ending early. This is a technology in education course and as such the prof. explained why the class is important to her and how she came to be involved. Her son was diagnosed with leukemia in fourth grade and he was unable to attend class because of his chemo. She and her son's teacher ended up setting up a web video allowing him to "attend" class from home. How's that for coincidence. Leukemia is also a blood borne cancer, like lymphoma. Irony huh?

Ok. I’ll be heading to choir shortly. I expect lots of comments to bolster me after my first day of class. Okay. I think I’m really done this time. -Elizabeth

5 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're obviously feeling much better about yourself, life and school....'cause it's back to PICK ON MOTHER ON YOUR BLOG. However, mother would like to think that you were paying attention in class too. See I can pick just as well as you can.
Love you, Mom

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're back in class. Although maybe you should actually be paying attention to the class...
:)

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should teach my father-in-law, it would save some calls to me - hey wait, how about a Slovak class, you teach all of the Slovak's computer, now that would be interesting, and I'm sure some beer involved.

Keep up the good work.
Janette

p.s. Stop picking on your mom.

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz! Great blog! I think the idea of using a blog for among other things a family newsletter, holiday time or otherwise, is GREAT! Your Mom obviously knows how to handle it 'cause she is reading yours and responding! Way cool (my teenage son does not agree that I am either). Thanks for speaking with me after class (and I know you were paying attention during)...This is a really small world, and yes it is wild that two wild and crazy educators have found each other in such a way! "Prof" Karli Wheeler

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth - We just got back from SC and read your blog. We are sooo sorry that you have to go through this all again. It just isn't fair. I wish I knew something wise to say to you, but I am coming up blank. Just know that you are always in our prayers and that we know in our hearts that you will ultimately beat this thing.
Love,
Wendy & Roger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home