Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Yet another teaser post - also to be known as "All I want for Christmas are my six front teeth"

Amy tried to warn me. She tried to warn Katrina. We didn't listen. We went to look for wigs today and ended up going to the same place as Amy. She told us that the woman was a little...off. She tried to give us the heads up.

I'm not sure I have the words to describe how odd of an experience this was. We walked into the store and the woman was sitting on a lounge chair with her hand to her mouth. ...And ignoring us. Katrina finally mentioned that we were looking for a wig and all the woman did was nod her head and continue to fiddle with her mouth. Turns out she had a temporary top set of teeth placed the day before and she had just broken them by accident. If she didn't hold them in her mouth, they would fall out. Thats right, you all heard me. She had to talk with us while holding her teeth. And to top it all off she couldn't get them to sit right again, so everytime she smiled she looked like the Cheshire Cat. It was creepy. I think we went through three wigs before I even started to pay attention cause I was so creeped out by her teeth. (Shivers as she thinks about it) Not to mention everytime she called me sweetheart I was afraid her teeth would go flying across the room. She made an attempt to talk with out holding them, but not only did she sound funny, but they flopped around something aweful in her mouth. It was very disturbing to watch. When she did hold them in to talk she only used the tip of one of her very long nails and it looked like she was trying to pick something from between her teeth.
In the end we found a wig the matches my red hair perfectly. (Yes, for those who haven't seen me recently, I have red hair.) It's a little odd to wear it, but then again all of my experiences of it are tied up with the weird smile looking over my shoulder in the mirror. (Shivers yet again) The hardest part was looking at Katrina. The shear absurdity of the situation was impossible to ignore and we all know that my sense of the ridiculous is well tuned. I couldn't look at Katrina for more than a second before I wanted to burst out laughing. We spent, at least, a half hour after leaving the store just laughing and trying not look insane. We went to get some dinner and I swear the waiter thought we were nuts. I think we gave him a complex.
I will still have more of an update tonight, but I had to share the teeth story with you. It was just too good to pass up. - Elizabeth

12 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even Jessica had a funny wig experience. I guess that is part of making the whole experience one of a memory. Keep up the good thoughts!
Love Janette

p.s. There is finally a SOLD sign on the house, I will take a picture to prove it.
j

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth: Like your cousin from Maryland, this cousin from Florida is responding to a blog for the first time. At least, I hope I can get it to go through. I read all your postings, going in reverse order from your most recent to the first one, which was in some ways an odd way to do it. I read and re-read several of them, like the one about God. And of course, I laughed as some of your observations. Almost like hearing you talk in person. So ramble on! Hope the side effects settle down.

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny? Do these experiences happen to everyone or just "our family?" I guess if you have to get a wig there needs to be some story behind it or it would not be a happy day.
Jacque

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth - as I am reading about your wig experience , I am so seeing you to trying to act like an adult, but holding back the laughter, and then enjoying it all the more after you left the place!! Laughing , having fun- great ! It brings home the fact that life is still going on as normal. Even tho' you got the shock of a terrible diagnosis, it sinks in, and ... life goes on, with alot of it still normal, and yes, with some changes.
Glad to hear you are feeling better- hold on to all the good thoughts of good times - you will start giggling when you are remembering!! Karin S.

 
At 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Liz,

I am happy to hear that you´re doing well this day. It is good to hear that. The story with that lady was funny. Now I am going to dentist so hopefully after leaving her ambulance I will not end up like that lady.
have a nice day, hm, or night.
lucia

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger katrina said...

I've been contemplating the Toothless-Wig-Lady for a few hours now (not really of my own volition) and I've had a thought. Look, shopping for a wig because you know you may lose your hair may be one of the most sensative reasons ever, and I personally believe God works in mysterious ways...now I'm not saying He broke that woman's teeth ON PURPOSE, but the fact remains SOMEONE in that room was going to be uncomfortable. When we walked in, we thought is was going to be us....and then, within a matter of seconds, we began to understand that the woman wearing Cher's clothes and holding her teeth had already beaten us to it! Absurd, yes; but not nearly as emotional as it could have been.

Thank you, God!
Now could You make sure the Toothless-Wig-Lady gets some dental attention?

In all seriousness, Elizabeth, your wig looks great. When are you picking it up? (Maybe you give the TWL has a chance to see a dentist first...)

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, this is my first "blog experience" - pretty cool. I loved the wig experience story! You hang in there and continue being the positive, great person you are. Keep on ramblin'!! We're thinking of you here in Jersey!

Glenn & Connie S

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to point out that Katrina has two typos in her comment.

Good luck to the TWL!

(ps: I want a picture of the wig!)

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red? Cool!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Amy Sayegh said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I'm glad you found a wig. Did I warn you? She is a little creepy. She is a result of long term chemo. She was on chemo for 11 years, hence the teeth problems. It brings back my wig buying experience. I just got my wig and never went back there again, and I suggest you do the same. I have all the wig shampoo and conditioner you will ever need. I will gladly pass it on to you. Again, never something I wanted to give to you, but here I am. You are awesome, thanks for just being you!!
Love,
Amy

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Amy Sayegh said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I'm glad you found a wig. Did I warn you? She is a little creepy. She is a result of long term chemo. She was on chemo for 11 years, hence the teeth problems. It brings back my wig buying experience. I just got my wig and never went back there again, and I suggest you do the same. I have all the wig shampoo and conditioner you will ever need. I will gladly pass it on to you. Again, never something I wanted to give to you, but here I am. You are awesome, thanks for just being you!!
Love,
Amy

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth-
Yours is the first blog I have ever read. I heard about "b l o g s" but hadn't a clue as to what they were.... kind of a cool idea though. I must say that you have been in my prayers. You have given me my first smile today as I caught up and read your creepy toothless wig woman story. If you must get a wig- red is the way to go! I am not biased or anything though... Have a good day! Love,
Christine Honohan Zeolla
P.S. let me know if you don't know who I am...
P.S.S. I am quite curious which of your categories of skiiers I fit into.... remember New Years Eve 2003?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home