Monday, March 27, 2006

So...Chemo sucks.

I know I haven't written in a bit, but I was debating with myself. To tell you all the truth or not? In the end, I'm still a very selfish person and this is my blog. I am going to be writing about not so pleasant effects of chemo, mostly for my own record. However, consider yourself forwarned now. I don't know how funny this installment is going to be. I don't even know how long it is going to be, considering how tired I am. I think I will probably just write until my sleeping pill kicks in. Don't be surprised if some of this comes out fuzzy sounding.

The weekend was wonderful. Contrary to the picture I did not hit a tree skiing. However, I did only make it down one run. About half way through, my body made it perfectly clear that it had stopped listening to me. On top of that, the snow was a little too slushy and pulling my self along with my poles was putting serious strain on my port. (More visions of Elizabeth popping a leak, this time on top of a mountain in vermont) Even the ride up in the lift left me queezy. In the end, I'm glad I made the attempt, but I am so very much paying for it now. My body aches from muscles that weren't supposed to be used and my chest feels tight when I breath in because of the strain from pulling on my poles. (Aren't you all glad that you tuned in to hear this?)

As if this wasn't bad enough, I woke up Sunday morning with my first, honest to God, nausea bought. That was less than pleasant. It lasted for maybe an hour, and then I moved on. Lots of napping, watched a movie with the family. Acted really tired so that the rest of the gang would pack up my stuff for me and I wouldn't have to move. (Well, actually, I was too tired to pack up my own stuff. But I prefer to let my acting prowess take credit for this little coup.) Quite a bit of my day was spent trying not to be in pain. For some strange reason, (wait, chemo, I remember) every single bone in my body is aching. I think I mentioned in an earlier blog, that I've had hangovers worse than this. And that still holds true, however the hangovers eventually went away and this seems to be determined to stick around. To top it all off, the doctors only give you a limited supply of the pills that counteract the effects of the chemo. So, once the anti-nausea pills were gone, I was nauseous.

And as for my engery levels. Ha. What energy levels. I wake up in the morning (7:00 on the dot) feeling horrible. I usually ask who ever is around exactly why it is that I just can't throw up and get it over with. They usually tell me to shut up and eat some toast. Then hold my hand while I suffer. (That was not actually meant to sound bitchy. I am actually releaved that some is willing to hold my hand when all I want to do is hurl on them) Once this passes and I can hold down food, they force my morning pills on me. (Cause hey, why not tempt fate while we're at it.) For the past few days the morning pills have included 5 rather large prednisone. 5 rather large, ill-tasting prednisone. That non-the-less left me with energy.( they are a steriod afterall) However, today is the fist day off the prednisone. That's it. I'm wiped. I've got NOTHING. No energy to even think about how little energy I have. ( And yet I still have enough to whine to you guys. Interesting, that. ) I had plans of all the things that I would get done in the off-week from chemo. Especially now that I have no classes to go to. But, I'm starting to realize that there is a reason I'm not going to classes. I can't make it throw a TV show with out nodding off, much less a three hour class. (Just so we're clear. TV has never been a problem for me. I could space out for hours. Now, it just hurts my head)

My plans are so on hold, its ridiculous. And here's the thing. I knew what to expect. I knew that this was going to kick my butt. And yet still it doesn't even remotely prepare me for the reality of it. I'm pretty sure that if mom weren't here this morning, I just would have rolled over, thrown up in the trash and fallen back to sleep. (Nice visual, huh?) The worst part is that I think ...I know.. that the reason I don't want to stop writing right now, is because then I have to go to sleep. Then, I have to do the whole thing over again. I can't even think about doing the whole thing over again. It hurts to even contemplate it. ( Wow, can I whine or what?) Of course now that I have figured out why I am writing so much, I also realize that I am being a bit of a coward. I'm using all of you to avoid sleep. Good job. You are serving your purpose well. On that note, I will rap up this less than humorus blog with some parting thoughts.
One - to my family. Don't think that Vermont was horrible for me. I loved it. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my first week of chemo, than some place I love with the people I love. It was great. (Not too mushy, right?)
Two - to those who have been checking the blog constantly and have been disapointed for lack of posting. Here. Now stop calling. I'm still alive and you can have your fix. (Once again, not meant to sound bitchy, but everything seems to be coming out that way... huh.)
Three - Karen. Thank you for the brownies and for Margarita, I love her. It was a wonderful surprise that lightened up my day.
Four - To those new posters in the comments gallery that I didn't acknowledge over the weekend, "Welcome to my blog, and shut the door behind you so as to not let out the crazies." It's wonderful hearing from all of you. Paul and Gerri, I'm glad you found the site, and I'm sorry I'm a scummy sister who never called back. (although i think i have a pretty decent "get out of jail free" card) It was great hearing from everyone, Liz Press(or is it Elizabeth), Jennifer, Kathy, Leon, Carolyn, Sara, Scott and Michelle (followed by Lisa. Ahh. I love sibling rivalry.) And Allison, it was great hearing from you, although now people may have an idea about my slightly nefarious, criminal past. (I still have the flashing lights.)
I'm about to get mushy, so watch out. Just knowing that there are so many people out there who care about me is amazing. But to have you all take the time to send a note is nothing short of a miracle for me. Each one makes me feel a little more loved. Now, if you can't tell how tired I am from that little wax-poetic, than I don't know what kind of clues I can give to drive the point home.
Ok. I think that I have wasted about as much time as I can with this. I need to sleep. I'll try to be more amusing tomorow. I should at least be in better spirits with out the prednisone withdrawl. Talk to you all later. -Elizabeth

20 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there girl. Like you said, this blog is for your thoughts, we just happen to like to share them. See Amy, now you know how it felt like when we were looking for your updates - Liz, it is all on your timing, take this time to rest and get back to yourself. We will be thinking of you while you do.

Love the counter, I like to watch it go up, wow, you have some following.

xo
janette

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger katrina said...

Elizabeth,
You'll get through this too! As I've said before, name one other chemo patient you know who has tried skiing the week of the first treatment---that's right, you can't! Good on ya!
You were looking tired at handbells last night. Don't be afraid to sit when you need to, drink water, ask for help. We love you and want to help, just give us the chance.
"The Witch of Cologne?" I didn't know you wrote an autobiography, Kathy!!! (ha ha ha...welcome to the mock-club)
Hang in there Elizabeth!
Katrina

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, Thank you for the blog!! i have been checking it about twice a day. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers every day. Let me know what your favorite kind of cookie is, I love to bake!!

Kristin Severino

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You came back! It's been awhile but we understand why. It was nice to be in Vermont...to get away just a bit...can't think of a better group of people I'd rather be with. And for the record Liz, you can 'use' me anytime.

Love you lots, try to feel good today.

Carol

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS SUCKS!! SORRY , BUT JUST READ YOUR POSTING , AND I HAD BEEN HOPING THAT YOU HADN'T WRITTEN YOUR DAILY BECAUSE YOU WERE HAVING FUN AWAY, AND NOT BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T FEELING WELL. YOU ARE VERY BRAVE ELIZABETH, NOT THROUGH CHOICE, BUT TO BE SHARING THE GOOD AND BAD OF IT. I HATE THAT YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS, AND YOUR FAMILY TOO , BECAUSE THEY SURE ARE EXPERIENCING THEIR OWN PAIN FOR YOU. HANG IN THERE , GET THROUGH IT HOWEVER YOU CAN MANAGE , AND PRAY ( ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS) THAT TOMORROW WILL BE A BETTER DAY. ( P.S. IF YOU MENTION ANOTHER FAVORITE FOOD IT MIGHT SHOW UP ON YOUR DOORSTEP!!) OXOX KARIN S.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Just wanted you to know that Bill called and told us what you are going through. We have been thinking of you and you are in our prayers. Keep in touch,

Your fiends - Kathy, Lenice, Nancy and Nick and everyone at Dewkett Engineering

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry it has taken so long to post, but I have read every word and every comment and your strength and spirit are truly an inspiration. You are amazing!

And am I correct in assuming it was my family's house you were at in Vermont? I recognized the neighbor with the unsecured wireless internet :) It's one of the best features in the house!

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family. I believe I was there (and may have been partly responsible?!) for that lacerated liver incident many years ago--you were strong then and even stronger now. I know you will beat this, and we'll all be there with you in cyber-spirit to support you the whole way.

Love,
Lara

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,

I hope you´ll feel better this coming days. I am so sorry I can not help you from here. If you could think of something we could do from here just tell us. We are praying for you to get well and healthy soon. I really do not know anybody so strong as you are. Hey Liz you´re like movie action star "hero". you go skiing after chemo. I know you´ll get better and we´ll do a good job. take care and we all pray for ya.
love Lucia

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warm thoughts. Big hug. Hang in there.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPLASH! I finally made it into the bloggers pool! My Blogger for Dummies manual just arrived. Elizabeth, you are such an inspiration. You speak not only from and to the heart, but deeper still, from and to the soul. We are all so on this journey with you. ANYTHING you need...any hour, any day, it is our hope we can anticipate before you have to even ask, but when we're missing "it" just let us know.(Family, too, let us know what YOU need.There's so many of you and we may not realize your special needs.) Love you 'lizbeth Winnie

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz, you never need to apologize for feeling what you are feeling. We are all here for you through the good and the bad, to celebrate and commiserate. You keep fighting the fight! Love you!

Kristin

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't ever apologize, Elizabeth. The world knows that this chemo thing throws you for a loop. If Waltraud is any yardstick, the nausea should go away or occur much more infrequently. She needed KYTRIL (anti nausea drug) only for about the first week. Then it got better.

We admire you for having done the Vermont thing. We are rooting for you for a sucessful treatment and we are praying for you. We are sending Fred straight to hell, special delivery, return receipt requested!

Hello to your parents. Spring is coming, cheer up. Best regards and wishes, our thoughts are with you.

Wal & Ger

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BE FOREWARNED- STEVE M. MAY TRY TO USE YOU FOR GETTING SOME GOODIES MADE FOR HIM!!! K.S.

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Honey, I really wanted to set a new record for comments left on your blog in one day....so here is #20. Besides, it's 24 hours since you last posted and I know that today was much better than yesterday, and so therefore I can tease you by saying even without chemo, we would have had to pack up your stuff from our mini-vacation (teehee,teehee). Hope you still love me. I love you. Mom

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you can't be expected to entertain us *every* day... that's when you call in the reserves.

10 Ways You Know That Your Doctor is an Oncologist
- Emily Hollenberg, Cancer Survivor

10. Even though wearing a white lab coat and not a military uniform, words like battle, fight, war and weapons are frequently used in the conversation.

9. Uses "oma" words like carcinoma, lymphoma and melanoma instead of cancer.

8. Tries to explain to you why a low grade is better than a high grade on your path report. (I could have used that approach explaining my grades to my parents.)

7. Wants you to be excited when your tests come back negative not positive, of course this does not fit with most life experiences.

6. Talks a lot about trials and as far as you know is not a lawyer or a judge.

5. When shaking hands with you at your initial appointment, you have a feeling that your veins are being checked out.

4. Asks you if you want a port and you know that this is not an invitation to have a drink.

3. Tells you that you will get a series of treatments and you keep wondering where the "treat" part comes in.

2. Tells you that you are on a protocol and it doesn't fit with the dictionary definition: form of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state.

1. Has you sign a consent form for treatment that is more intimidating than the diagnosis.

And of course, my personal favorite find...
Q. What do you call a person who has a compulsion to get lymphoma over and over again?
A. A Lymphomaniac.

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That post from Carolyn was great. Dr. Ahmed actually describes himself as a "lymphomaniac". Mom

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Beth:

I have been following for about a week...Finally thought its time to say whats up. Needed a week to be flippant.
I knew you would be back, but this is ridiculous. You could have made a easier plan. Right?
I don't know if I can compete with the likes of Fred, boobs and the somewhat Slovak doctor. Whoops, I better watch what I say since I do not want to deal with the Sicilian lady with the Irish, Scotch or Welsh surname. As you know, I know people like that.
Bill told me he gave you the card, keep it around. John+Upstairs is pretty good with this. You don't have to believe, I believe enough for the two of us.
I stay with flippant from now on...
You can find if you want.
C.

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you will use all your best acting techniques to keep your family subservient(I think I spelled that right. I am sure all the teachers in the famly will correct my spelling). Hang in there and remember you are related to Oma.
Love ya
Lisa

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Hey, just being close to Outer Limits without skiing it can draw energy from a person. (it is an evil slope)
Your posting brought back lots of memories of going skiing, glad you made it through the weekend and had some fun, but here's a thought when your body feels sleepy, its saying it needs rest. Nothing that you need to apologize for. I love you and Im looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Paul

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ELIZABETH - I CAUGHT YOUR MOM AND DAD FROLICKING IN THE HOT TUB TODAY!!!!!..................................................................................................................................................................... ok fine, so they were just getting ready to swim , but i thought the other made for a good visual !xoox k.s.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home