Tuesday, March 21, 2006

One down, five to go.

First order of business. You are the mushiest group of people ever. Keep it up - I love the attention. After every post I can’t wait to hear what you will all say about it. I have to admit this is much more therapeutic then I originally thought it would be.

Onto today’s news. I had my first round of chemo. I have to say…it sucked. This is not a pleasant experience. It took four hours for the first “pre-chemo” drug and then another hour for the actual chemo. As unpleasant as it was, it probably could have gone worse.

I didn’t really sleep well last night (surprise, surprise) and we got up early to head to Valhalla. I rode with Amy because I think Mom and I are a little sick of each other at the moment. Amy gave me the heads up on what to expect from the CHOP (the chemo part of the treatment) but she never had my pre-chemo. She also never had a port so we weren’t sure if I would react the same way she did. The ride there seemed so much longer than it should have. I think that we hit every pothole on the Taconic. Not normally a horrible experience, but currently my chest is being held together by glue and tape. Yup, you heard me – glue and tape. No more messy stitches that will have to come out, instead 6 little strips of tape that will “fall off on their own” and a thin layer of antibiotic glue on top. I feel so much more secure. Every time we hit a bump I thought I was going to spring a leak.

When we got to the medical complex we looked like we were going for an outing. All three of us had a backpack and mom had a cooler case of food for lunch. I was taken almost right away. I want to say that I probably got started at around 9:15. However, I became a little distracted when they removed the gauze from my chest and I saw exactly what was holding me together. Did I mention that it is just glue and tape? …I did? …Ok. I actually think that once the port heals up it will be the best decision, but in the mean time today hurt like hell. I feel black and blue and in order for the attendant to get the needle into the port, she had to feel around the entire thing to find the hole. Have to say…that hurt like a bitch. Not as painful as the bone marrow biopsy, but still pretty darn awful.

Once the needle was in the port, the rest of the day went pretty smooth. I had one bad reaction to the meds that required them to stop the drip and give me a steroid shot, but besides that it was just tiring. My mom and Amy watched a movie on Amy’s portable DVD while I got the pre-chemo. I slept because the stuff pretty much knocked me out. The best was listening to Amy and Mom. They both were wearing headphones to avoid disturbing the other patients, but they continued to try and talk to each other – loudly, very loudly. Not to mention I have no idea what kind of a movie they watched, but they were both very confused by it.

Of course I probably gave them just as much to laugh about. During the times that I wasn’t focused on them, I was sleeping. However, the chair I was in did not recline all the way back and because of the glue, tape and IV, I had limited mobility and few options for how to lie down. In the end my head went straight back. Then I started channeling my father. Yup! I snored. So loud, that I woke my self up. Three times. Next time I think I am going to steal one of my nephews’ airplane pillows. Those things have got to be more comfortable than the rolled up shirt I was using. The last couple of hours were talking or playing cards. Not really eventful. Just long and tiring. I’m really sleepy now, but as my doctor predicted, the stuff he has me on has me wired. In a minute I’m going to go take some sleep meds and attempted to nod off. Apparently the worst of the side effects are still to come. (Oh Joy!) On the other hand I’m thinking of getting a bell and torturing my family into doing things for me. Yesss. That sounds like fun. (Pauses for a pleasant day dream about family doing her bidding….A very long day dream…lots of bidding to be done…OK I’m back)

So to wrap this up. It sucked, but it could have been worse. Amy kept Mom fairly well distracted as well as giving me a heads up to the side effects I was going to be experiencing. The staff was wonderful and very comforting, taking the time to walk through any problems or questions I might have. And one of the best parts was coming home to find so many comments on the blog. Support from friends and family can’t be beat. From those who I speak to everyday (siblings) to those who I have never spoken to, but feel very close to experience wise. (Nate) It means an awful lot just to know that others are going through this with me. Huh…that was sappy…uh oh…the mushiness of the comments section is rubbing off on me. Ugh. Now I need a shower. Enough of that. Tomorrow I go for a shot to bring up my white blood cell count and hopefully that is it for the next two weeks. Ok. I think I’m done for the night, and I need to go medicate. I’ll let you all know how I am feeling tomorrow. - Elizabeth

13 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, one down, five to go. It is hard to imagine, but it will be over before you know it. Hang in there kido, we are cheering for you!

Love, Janette

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger ejbauerlein said...

I don't know how you did that Janette. Do you just sit at your computer waiting for an update? This was posted for, like a second. Not that I mind. I love having people at my beck and call. Know what, forget I said anything. Keep cheering. 24/7. I command it. ...We don't think this blog is going to my head, do we? -elizabeth

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth - Been thinking about you all day. If I could write as well as you, I'd be Pope ... or Jay Leno. Far be it from me to give you adive, but the first thing you should do when this is all over is to find a good publisher. What you have to say, and the way you say it, is going to be an inspiration! I pray that you keep both your faith and sense of humor: both will serve you well!
PK

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you worry Liz-e, no sappy sappy from me! I was considering giving you a cancer biology lesson instead, but I might start to ramble. (I'll save that for another time!) So, instead I'll just let you know that I'm using your story (and blog) to raise money for my Relay for Life team down here - hope you don't mind!
Love, Erica
PS: you've helped me raise $35 in one day! woo hoo!

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, Like Marta, have to work for a living and can't check the blog, or websites during the work day (that whole work ethic thing), so like Marta, I am on first thing in the morning, as well as last thing at night, checking yours, Jessicas and Amy's blog for any updates. I had also just finished talking to Carol, so you (like always) were on my mind.

My sister Jacque (she will post as jc, for some reason she thinks she in anonymous - not anymore! - also mentioned to me yesterday that you should be a writer...hmmm...I see a pattern here.

Off to work, have a great day!

Love, Janette (Judy's MUCH younger sister).

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is also how Marta and I can stay connected!

Hey Liz, did you pick a color yet???
janette

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WILL I EVER BE FIRST?!!! I am the oldest sister you know! I check this sucker five times a day...and there was nothing last night when I checked. This morning NINE of you beat me to it! Again!

I'm so hooked, I have snuck a viewing at work. I have to stop that!!!

Carol

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and PS

I thought JC stood for something
VERY holy.

There, I get the award for two in a row...(don't I act like the oldest?)

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your description of you, Amy and I schlepping into the medical arts building with lunch bags and back backs and computer bags....but it was even funnier than that. Amy's back pack was the kind with a handle and wheels (like to take on a plane) and I think we looked as though we were moving in for the duration. "We're not leavin' 'till Fred's gone!!!". They actually gave us a private room for the chemo. I wonder if it was to give us more space. Love you Elizabeth. You did great and if you noticed, I only got weepy once. Mom

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok guys,I am at work now. I almost ran out of gas this morning (I know, the girl who is always prepared is slipping). My cell is dead since I did not charge it in forever, so I am lucky I am not sitting somewhere on 84. But while driving on empty, I had an idea for our Relay for Life fundraiser for next year. Since everyone agrees that Liz is an awesome writer, and her illustrations are just amazing, I am thinking we really need a publisher, to make her blog into a book. We can then sell the book and raise money that way. How do you feel about book signings Liz? Do we know anyone in publishing? And who is PK? Pasor Kennedy maybe?

Marta

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Mrs. Fitz said...

Hi Elizabeth,

We were happy to hear that your first round of chemo was not too bad.We know that you are strong and will get through this. We look forward to your up dates, if you blog people will come to read it.(ok it sounded funny in my head) Hope it made you smile, we love hearing your rambling.Have a peace full day. Love Mr.& Mrs Fitz


PS: A note to Fred, KISS YOUR ASS GOODBY YOU WILL SOON BE SOOOO OUT OF ELIZABETH YOU WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT YOU, WE WILL SEND YOU WERE YOU CAN'T HURT OUR ELIZABETH OR ANY ONE AGAIN. THE SICILIANS WILL BE WATCHING FOR YOU AND YOU DON"T WANT TO MESS WITH THEM.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did great on your first chemo I can see. I hope you´ll do so good on all of them and that everything will go the right way.
I love the bell idea. when I was after my shoulder surgery everyone was just jumping around me and I just loved it.
I can see that I´m not the only one that is adicted to this blog. in the morning I print new day and read it on the way to work. it is good to read everything about it so also in slovakia we have some news about you.
good luck and warm huggs and kisses from ligas

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Liz! Julie passed your blog on to me...I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis but so glad to read of your fighting spirit. I wish you all the duct tape and stolen traffic lights in the world. :)

love,
Allison
your old roomie from Apple Hall

 

Post a Comment

<< Home