Tuesday, March 21, 2006


I feel like a gas tank.

Today was a very busy day and most of it spent at the hospital. While quite a bit of it was sitting around and waiting, there was about 3 hours worth of interesting stuff. First, I nearly passed out. And all they did was put a needle in the back of my hand. Have I mentioned that I don't like needles? Anyway, it was just saline, and from the way I reacted, you would have thought they were pumping me full of drugs. Well, later on they did pump me full of drugs. But I meant a different kind of drug. ...uh...yeah. OK. Still a little tired on this end.

After moving me upstairs (I love riding on gurneys) I met the surgeon who would be putting in my port. He's a very nice man with a heavy Russian accent. He started off by showing me the port - not the brightest of moves. As far as I was concerned that thing was huge. "It will be like small stack of quarters, under skin" Ha! Small stack of quarters, my ass. My only thought at this point was that they had better knock me the hell out. Have I mentioned that I'm not big on pain, either?

The attendent was actually very nice and overall it was fine. They didn't knock me out, but they gave me a local so I didn't feel anything. On top of that they gave me something to calm me down. That was wonderful stuff. I really need to figure out what that was. I could think of several instances when it would come in handy. Not just for me. Think about how mellow Mom would be on that stuff. (Sighs and has a pleasant Mom-is-high daydream)

As fun as all the medicine was, you will never believe the most calming aspect of this experience. It was the doctor's accent. ("OK. Lie still. I give you small shot. It make you feel nothing") Most of you who have made comments on my blog, realize that I am from a heavily slovak/german family. And when I tell you that this Doctor sounded like my Grandfather, I'm not kidding. And then half way through he started humming Russian folk songs.

I have always thought that if I were ever in a situation like this, that I wouldn't really care about who the doctor was, so long as he was competent and I was drugged. This proves me wrong. There is something so incredibly calming about having the right doctor working on you. I was so nervous about the whole proceedure. As far as I'm concerned, skin isn't supposed to come with pockets that hide ports. This could have been a horrible day, but it wasn't bad. The doctor's said dope her up enough and she won't feel a thing, and then God said, Lets give her a doctor that reminds her of her family and she won't worry about whether she will feel a thing.

So anyway I go in tomorrow morning for my first round of chemo. Mom and Amy Sayegh are both coming with me. Amy is pulling double duty - keeping me entertained, and keeping Mom calm. (I’ll bet that she wishes we knew what that calming stuff that they gave me was) It’s going to be a long day. Somewhere along the lines of 5-6 hours. I hope I’ll be up to blogging tomorrow night. I have a new ramble that I’m planning on posting. But just in case, be sure to check out the latest picture. This is how I expect tomorrow to go.

My sleeping pills are kicking in now, so I’m going to go to bed. I’ll hopefully update tomorrow. -Elizabeth

10 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I would also love to take a turn with 'keeping mom company' or even giving her a day off, so let me know when I can fill in (I promise to stay for the whole time (smile)).

I will be thinking of you.
janette
p.s. Glad you took the password thing off, I could never remember it!
xox

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,

I've become your blog addict! I just love them! You are amazing, but then, the boys and I already knew that!

When you figure out the drug...please share:) In the mean time "KILL FRED! KILL FRED!"

Love you lots,
Carol

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Mrs. Fitz said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Sounds like they gave you some good stuff, can I have some? But lets not tell Charlie.(haha) Fred don't know who his messing with when he came to you. You the Doctors, the good drugs, God and the Love of your family and friends with prayers will help to to kick Freds Ass Out. Your sister are right you are so amazing. Your in our thoughts and prayers,Wishing you a peacefull day. Love Mrs.& Mrs.Fitz

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

This blog sure brings back all those memories. You'll be happy with that port in the long run. It may look ugly and it sure doesn't look like it belongs there, but it's more comfortable than a needle in the vein. Make sure you wear button down shirts when having the port used. It will help for easier access and you won't have to worry about stretching the collars on shirts.

Demerol could have been the drug. That stuff is good, you should recommend it often, especially if you have another bone marrow biopsy. Believe me, get the good drugs whenever you can, you might as well make the most of the situation and there's no need to be a martyr and face any pain.

Hope your chemo session went well. 6 hours isn't too bad. I had one session of 8 hours for 3 days straight! And at least they have TVs now.

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call, since I have walked that path. (I know your sister has my #)

Tell Dr. Ahmed I say hello.

Nate Palkewick

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ELIZABETH
THINKING OF YOU EVERYDAY! AND LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU WANT SOME BROWNIES THIS IS MY SECOND TRY TO SEND YOU A NOTE! MR & MRS MILLER

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you,

I am so proud of you that you did it today. you are so brave. I am so happy that I have such wonderfull and strong cousin with sence of humour. I believe you´ll kill FRED soon and the doctor will help you. russians are good and really funny. Tell him "ZDRASTVUJ" tomorrow as you´ll walk into his office. but read it as it is written. it means hello.
and let me know the name of the drugs when you will find it. I could use some for my dad when he gets to nerveus "like now".
take care on your chemo.
your grandmoms and grandapas are watching you from the heaven with GOD and will help you and pray for you as all of us.
take care,
with love,
ligas

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I made chocolate chip cookies for you yesterday and was going to ship them from Ohio, but then I thought the cookies would break into little pieces by the time you got them. In case you were wondering, they were good! I ate most of them. (Not good.)

I love your sense of humor and admire your bravery.

Paul and I think about you every day. You are in our prayers.

Love,
Paul, Kat & Kids

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I feel so honored to be able to read your blog. It is like being able to be in your head and your heart. You are being so strong, and your sense of humor will get you through a lot. So will the love of family, friends and God. How special that your doctor is just the right one for you. Trust in him. You don't know me very well yet, but I can be here for you if you need me for anything.

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Elizabeth, we got through another day....of course, we must clear up that the Russian doctor was only for the port, and that Dr. Ahmed is the chemo doctor....and he's Pakistanian. What did Bill tell us ..that Ahmed means "from God". I think we both agree (and Nate too), that he is a gift from God. Now, about this picking on your mom on your blog thing.....Love you, Mom

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey little choir buddy, you are Captain of your own ship with one port down and no more to go. Number one chemo treatment completed and it was smooth sailing. I've sat with others as they've gotten their chemo treatments, so put me on the list of all the people that want to be there for you and for Mom. Love you, Nel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home